SSTAR 2017 Fall Clinical Case Conference Registration Now Open!
The Broadway Millennium Hotel
145 West 44th Street
Times Square, New York, NY
Friday, September 15, 2017
The SSTAR 2017 Fall Clinical Case Conference will be held Friday, September 15, 2017, at the Broadway Millennium Hotel in New York. This meeting is designed for practicing sex therapists, psychologists, physicians, advanced practice nurses, marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, other health care professionals, and researchers seeking state-of-the-art information on the rapidly evolving field of human sexuality. The primary goal of the meeting is to serve as a multidisciplinary forum in which to discuss the clinical assessment and management, ethical and societal issues, and outcome of sex therapy interventions in clinical cases.
Registration and coffee will begin at 8:30 am with the last group discussion ending around 5:00 pm. The meeting will commence with a welcome message from the President of SSTAR, Kathryn Hall, PhD at 8:50 am.
The morning presentation, The State of Affairs: A New Clinical Approach to Infidelity, presented by Esther Perel, MA, LMFT and discussant Stephen Levine, MD. Click Here to read the full abstract. After attending this presentation, participants will be able to:
- To assess a 3 part definition of infidelity – secrecy, emotional involvement and sexual alchemy
- To describe 3 specific interventions to help couples work through the crisis, the meaning making and the vision
- To create a safe therapeutic environment to work with the cost and benefits of secrets and to manage confidentiality, transparency and truth-telling
The afternoon presentation, Which Part Of Me Is Having Sex? A Case Study Illustrating Internal Family Systems Therapy And Sexual Arousal, presented by Carita Anderson, PhD, and discussant Derek Polonsky, MD. Click Here to read the full abstract. After attending this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify when coping strategies may be further explored as an intrapsychic “part”
- Contrast different experiences of flashbacks
- Discuss strategies to help patient reduce shame about past sexual choices
Space is limited and only SSTAR members may register beginning June 27, 2017. The registration fee is $275 for members which includes the luncheon. Registration is open to the public beginning on July 17, 2017, on a “space available basis.” The registration fee is $375 for non-members, which includes the luncheon. There is no discounted student registration fee. To register online please Click Here, or to print and mail in the registration form Click Here.
A limited block of rooms has been reserved at the Broadway Milennium Hotel for SSTAR attendees at a rate of $269 per night for a single bedroom. Book now to reserve the SSTAR Rate! Please Click Here to reserve your room online. Or call the hotel at 212-768-4400 to make reservations, referenceing the “SSTAR” meeting. Please book your room by Friday, August 11, 2017 to guarantee the SSTAR rate.
Save the Date!
SSTAR 43rd Annual Meeting
Sexuality and Life Transitions: Navigating Changes and Promoting Sexual Wellbeing
April 19-22, 2018
The Westin Philadelphia
99 South 17th Street
Papers are now being accepted for consideration for the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Sex Therapy and Research (SSTAR).
Please click here for the details to submit your paper. The deadline for submission is September 15, 2017.
SSTAR meetings are devoted to understanding and treating sexual disorders within cultural context such as sexual dysfunctions, gender and sexual orientation challenges, and paraphilias. Presentations may include hypothesis driven research, clinical observation or theoretical formulations. Presentations may be given orally or in poster format.
This meeting is open to all professionals interested in the topic of sexuality. attendees need not be SSTAR members or specialists in sexual health. Make plans to participate in the cutting edge scientific program!
Confirmed Speakers to look forward to:
- Terri Conley: Leading expert in consensual non-monogamy
- Emily Nagoski: Winner of the 2017 SSTAR Consumer Book Award
- Elizabeth Grill: Discussing infertility and sexuality
- Emily Impett: Promoting sexual desire and satisfaction in long-term relationships
- Dan Watter, Tuuli Kukkonen, Nancy Gambescia, and Eli Coleman are among many other exciting speakers!
- A full day workshop of general clinicians reviewing novel research and clinical approaches relevant to sexual disorders and gender dysphoria
- Specialized, advanced and clinical training workshops on (1) Sexuality and Cancer and (2) Integrative Approach to Sex Therapy
- Highly anticipated and top quality poster session of current sex research
- Peer-reviewed talks by sexuality experts on a wide variety of topics reflecting the latest research and evidence based clinical practice
The Westin Philadelphia is conveniently located in Philadelphia's City Center. Great SHops, award winning restaurants and historic attractions are all in walking distance. See more at: www.starwoodhotels.com/westin
NEW - Annual Meeting Sponsorship Opportunities
Support SSTAR’s mission to foster clinical sexuality practice and research and gain exposure to over two hundred attendees. Click Here to view the exciting sponsorship opportunities. Fill out the form attached. Please note, they are limited in availability and secured on a first come first serve basis.
Registration will open in December, 2017.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in Philadelphia!